Return to Northern Squash Club homepage.

Julie Cornell

Squash Committee Minutes

Julie Cornell - Tue 18 Apr 2017

Northern FC Squash Committee Meeting

Monday 20 March, 2017

Present: Clive Lucas, Julie Cornell, Sarah Bedford, Allan Curry, Roger Tames, Dave North

Apologies: Anth Cummings, Wayne Easthaugh, Richard Vitty

Matters arising from previous Minutes

RT and SB to produce biographies for club website committee page.

All other matters were dealt with as main agenda items.

Club Championships/Presentation Night Planning

It was agreed to follow the same format as 2016-with a Men’s A, B and C draw and a Ladies A and B draw. The Racketball competition will be Wednesday night and Doubles competition on Friday.

Derek Collins will act as Tournament Director.

Sarah reported that an advertising banner has been ordered from Potts Printing.

At present, all courts are booked from 5.40pm but could be released if not needed.

It was agreed that the format of the Presentation Night would be the same as 2016, with informal seating and Gi’s pies. A ticket price of £8.50 was agreed.

Roz Edwards will present the prizes for the Club championships.

It was agreed to have the final organisation as the 1st item on the agenda of the next meeting and to invite Derek Collins to attend.

The committee agreed to invite our sponsors to the Presentation evening, offering them 2 complementary tickets.

Geoff Younger Tournament

On behalf of the committee, Clive thanked Allan for organising the tournament which had been very successful. It was agreed to continue with the same format of 15 entrants. Allan reported that he had posted a feature on the website.

Club Night Review

It was felt that the Club Nights were a success with 25 different members having taken part, many of them new members. These will continue into April.

England Squash

CL, RV and JC will meet at 10.00am on April 3rd to update the list of members requiring registration.

Teams

Dave gave a report on the current standings of the Northern teams, which have enjoyed mixed fortunes this season, ranging from qualification for the end of season playoffs to relegation. There was a lengthy discussion regarding the problem of fielding full teams, in particular for the Ladies 3rd team and the future of this team will be reviewed at the start of the next season.

Executive/ finance committees

Clive attended the recent Executive committee meeting and Allan the Finance meeting. The accounts up to the end of January were discussed by the squash committee, who were pleased to see a comprehensive set of records which will help the budget holder to complete the budget for the next financial year.

Internal Leagues

Following a number of complaints from members regarding league players leaving all their matches to the last week of each session, it was agreed to review the wording of league rules and the advice given to players.

Maintenance

For inclusion in the summer maintenance programme:-

Repairs to courts 1&4 floors.

Decoration of men’s changing room, including painting ceiling and walls, maintenance of shower controls, investigation and repair of the issue with the floor, remove and replace sealant.

Either painting or replacement with glass doors for courts 2,3&4.

To send the scoreboard to be painted.

It was agreed to have the court walls professionally cleaned.

Provision of a modesty shower curtain in the Ladies showers.

Any Other Business

Clive reported that due the pressure of other commitments Anth had tendered his resignation from the committee. On behalf of the club, the committee wishes to record its thanks to him.

Date of next meeting

Tuesday 18th April

Latest club news
  • Team Matches 2017 18 Season Start Next Week
    Dave North Sat 23 Sep 2017
    Team matches start next week with Men's 1st, 3rd and 5th teams in home action
  • Internal League Sep 2017
    Wayne Eastaugh Sun 17 Sep 2017
    Last month Andrew Shipley topped the league while Katie Barker was (mathematically) top performing player with 3 wins out of a possible 3 (see note in the main story). The new session runs to 15 Sep...
  • Ashes Tournament 2017 Results
    Dave North Sat 16 Sep 2017
    Charlie Ponente, Andy Smith and Alan Herbertson won this year's timed team event and the prestigious Ashes Trophy.
  • Racket Found
    Dave North Sat 16 Sep 2017
    Racket found near court 4 on Saturday 16th September
  • Squash Committee Minutes
    Julie Cornell Thu 31 Aug 2017
    The Squash committee met on Monday 14th August 2017
  • Ashes Tournament 2017
    Dave North Wed 30 Aug 2017
    The annual Ashes Tournament (commemorating the demise of the old paper booking file) takes place this year on Saturday 16th September.
  • Internal League Aug Sep 2017
    Wayne Eastaugh Sun 13 Aug 2017
    Last month Milo McKenzie topped the league while Ed Amis was top performing player. The new session runs to 15 September...
  • Squash Committee Minutes
    Julie Cornell Sun 13 Aug 2017
    The squash committee met on 24th July 2017
  • Adult Club Play
    Dave North Sat 05 Aug 2017
    There seems to be enough interest in Club Play continuing through the Summer
  • Teams 2017 18 Season Deadline For Responses 12th August
    Dave North Sat 05 Aug 2017
    Please let me know by Saturday 12th August if you wish to be considered for the teams next season.
  • RSS More news...