Return to Northern Squash Club homepage.

Julie Cornell

Squash committee minutes

Julie Cornell - Mon 14 Nov 2016

Monday 17th October 2016

Present: Clive Lucas, Julie Cornell, Richard Vitty, Allan Curry, Sarah Bedford, Dave North, Roger Tames, Wayne Easthaugh.

Apologies: Karen Heron, Anth Cummings

Matters arising from previous minutes

Richard reported that 11 of the 12 places for ladies coaching are filled. The 1st course starts on Friday 4th November.

Clive reported that he had e mailed a member and also spoken to him in person to offer to explain the reasons for the committee’s decision on the date of the club championships. As the offer had been declined the matter is now considered closed.

Matt Hardy and Cai Younger have returned signed coaching agreements for the season.

Website/Sponsors/Business page-AC distributed a draft of the disclaimer for the business page which was approved by the committee.

The tablets are yet to be trialled by the Men’s 6th team.

All other matters arising were dealt with as main agenda items.

Dazzling Doubles

The recent Dazzling Doubles tournament was agreed to be a great success. The committee agreed to donate the court time and trophies and therefore the event raised £660 for Daft as a Brush charity. The following small issues were identified as needing tweaking for future events: - reduce the time taken to draw raffles and put posters up no more than a month before the event. It was proposed that a framed commemorative collage of the event be hung on one of the walls in the squash area.

The committee wished to record their thanks to the organisers Abigail Bedford and Katie Barker.

Junior Report.

All junior courses are filled with a small but growing waiting list. The Year 3 festivals are complete and Year 5 festivals are underway. Course payment via Wazygoose is being used by the majority of parents with a few exceptions due to concerns regarding security. Juniors who are starting courses are paying by cheque as they are not yet club members. Wayne confirmed that he had met with David Giles and Sarah Howson to talk them through the course payment system.

11 girls and 10 boys from the club had represented the county the previous weekend.

Richard gave a short verbal report on the Junior County Championships and confirmed that a full report was published on the club website.

One of the junior committee parents had arranged an “Asda Bag Pack” to raise funds for camera equipment for the junior section. The committee gave their approval for this to go ahead but requested that similar events be brought before the committee with more notice.

Corporate membership

Allan circulated a draft of the proposed corporate membership to the committee for comment.

Newsletter

The next newsletter was circulated for approval which generated a discussion regarding the issue of guest fees and went on to cover out of date information on the club site.

The rule regarding guest fees was confirmed to be as previously agreed- a non-member may play as a guest, paying a fee of £4, on 3 occasions during a calendar year- after which they must join the club.

Gosforth Classics/PSA Event.

Courts are booked for the PSA tournament. Clive will meet with Cai Younger and Chris Wiggins to discuss arrangements and give a report at the next meeting.

Executive/Finance Committees

Clive reported to the committee on the recent Executive committee meeting.

Allan Curry will attend the Finance committee meeting on Tuesday 18th October.

Internal Leagues

The new leagues start on 22nd October. The committee upheld its previously agreed rule that daytime members cannot play in the internal leagues.

Maintenance

Concerns have been raised that the shower drains in the ladies changing rooms smell, despite having been checked. It was suggested that the cleaners run the showers for a short time daily.

Any other business

RV reported that, following discussion with Steve Heathley, an exhibition match had been provisionally arranged featuring Nick Matthew on 27-28th January 2017. The McCracken suite was provisionally booked for both dates.

Date of next meeting

Monday 14th November

Latest club news
  • OCTOBER JUNIOR PLAYER OF THE MONTH
    Richard Vitty Thu 16 Nov 2017
    The Northern Squash club junior player of the month for October is Evie Paterson.
  • Future Events
    Dave North Sun 12 Nov 2017
    Watch this space for news about future events at Northern
  • Coaching At Northern
    Dave North Sun 12 Nov 2017
    Visit Coaching section of the website for further information about coaching at Northern
  • Team Matches
    Dave North Sat 11 Nov 2017
    Wins last week for Ladies 1, Men's 1,2, 5 & 6 and Junior 1 (twice). Next week's matches include Men's 2 at Northumberland 2 on Thursday and Ladies 2 v Northumberland Ladies 1 at home on Monday.
  • Gosforth Classic PSA Tournament 15th 17th December
    Dave North Sun 29 Oct 2017
    Professional squash returns to Northern Football Club 10 days before Christmas for the annual Gosforth Classic thanks to this years sponsors Lowes Financial Management.
  • Internal League Oct Nov 2017
    Wayne Eastaugh Sun 22 Oct 2017
    Last month Craig Dowie topped the league while Ben Ridgway was top performing player with a perfect score and 5 wins out of 5 due to an enlarged division! The new session runs to 24 Nov 2017...
  • September Junior Of The Month
    Richard Vitty Wed 04 Oct 2017
    Leo Blackett is the Northern Squash club junior of the month for September
  • Squash Committee Minutes
    Julie Cornell Mon 02 Oct 2017
    The Squash committee met on Monday 18th September 2017
  • Dazzling Doubles 2 Disco Style Saturday 7th October
    Dave North Tue 26 Sep 2017
    Abigail Bedford and Katie Barker are again organising a fun Dazzling Doubles tournament.
  • SIX OF THE BEST FOR NORTHERN JUNIORS AT JUNIOR COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIPS
    Richard Vitty Mon 25 Sep 2017
    Last weekend saw the hosting of the annual junior county championships at the Northumberland Club in Jesmond and Northern`s juniors were out in force to take the competition by storm.
  • RSS More news...